Monday, January 28, 2008

Maximize/minimize

For whatever reason, I am having a total fascination with this physics class. I remember feeling this way when I was younger, reading Steven Hawkings for the first time, listen to my genius grandfather talk about relativity theory, learning about quantum mechanics and probability. Last semesters physics was dealing so much with objects on a larger scale, an ordinary scale. Collisions between objects from 1-1000 kilos are not all that interesting to me. Now, go down to the minute scale of elementary particle interactions, and I'm completly drawn into the discussion.

I guess its like what Dr. Bell said about deserts: "when it comes to scale, its about the very large, and the very small. The entire grand canyon view on a cloudless morning, or the tiniest drop of water from a seeping spring, keeping its own time". I'm enthrawled by that which is extraordinary to our experience, whether it be the moving of massive bodies through space, of planets or stars, or by things that are so obscure by their tiny size, such as protons and electrons.

Now, keep that idea and move into my personal field of biology. The same concept applies: the facination with the intercomplex workings of the entire biosphere composed of all the ecosystem relations, down to the small and "forgotten" organisms, even smaller to the inner workings of physiology. The ability for me to expand my mind and think of the world on a whole, and then minimize it to view the fluid structure of a cell membrane is important to me. It speaks of my understanding to the interconnectedness to the obscured (occult) in the world.

Seek and yet not forcing. 'cept, of course, when talking about newtons second law. *wink*

No comments: